Published: Tue, January 16, 2018
Global | By Shelia Dennis

9 killed in clashes near Tripoli airport

9 killed in clashes near Tripoli airport

Local media reported that almost 30 people had been wounded in the fighting, which caused Mitiga to suspend all flights until further notice.

The airport was empty in late afternoon, when the clashes had largely died down, though pilots flew several aircraft across the capital to the global airport - closed since 2014 due to damage from earlier fighting - in an effort to protect them.

Flights have been suspended while the sound of gunfire and artillery could be heard from the capital, Reuters reported.

"The criminal militia known as Bashir al-Baqarah and all the criminals wanted by the Deterrent Force attacked the International Airport after escaping (from jail) and joining the militia", said the Special Deterrent Force.

A Prince Harry and Meghan Markle TV Movie Is Officially Happening!!!
His lawyers state the supposed victims "cannot be considered reliable sources", and called into question their mental health. Meanwhile, Kensington Palace declined to comment about the official photographer for Markle and Prince Harry's wedding.

Brigade 33, a militia based in Tajoura, attacked the airport-based Special Deterrence Force, or Rada, one of the most powerful groups in Tripoli, The Libya Observer reported.

The force noted that the attackers were being dealt with "until they are defeated and expelled from the M'etiga airport and the prison, where more than 2,500 inmates are detained on various charges".

The GNA said the attack had "endangered the lives of passengers, affected aviation safety and terrorized residents". We saw tanks in the perimeter of the airport, he added.

The Presidential Council of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) declared a state of emergency in the country's capital of Tripoli on Monday over the deadly clashes at the Mitiga International Airport, according to the GNA's statement.

Bleak day for Americans in Melbourne: Venus, Stephens out
Prior to their first-round meeting, Bencic had lost four matches against the 37-year-old Williams, failing to win even a set. As for eighth-seeded Sock, he came up Japan's Yūichi Sugita and came off second best, going down 6-1, 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 6-3.

Government employees were evacuated and schools closed down in the area.

The Tripoli factions sometimes clash in turf battles or over killings or detentions of their members.

It's the second encounter between the two groups within a month.

Airbus wins sales race with Boeing for 5th straight year
Emirates is by far the A380's largest customer having taken on more than 100 of its total orders for 142 superjumbos. However, Mr Leahy added that he is still hopeful that a deal with Emirates could be worked out.

Like this: